Attractive early photo of Montreal City Hall and Court House. Some people standing outside, a couple of horse-drawn carts.
Written on negative ‘COURT HOUSE & CITY HALL‘
Mounted on thick cardboard card. Written in French in pencil at top of card: “Palais de Justice & Hotel de Ville Montreal”.
No photographer name.
Silver gelatin print, lovely sepia-tone colour.
Small chip UR corner. Toning on edges of cardboard card, light warping.
Photo: 7-¼” – 9-¼”
Card: 9-½” x 12-¼”(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The five-storey Montreal City Hall is the seat of local government in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was designed by architects Henri-Maurice Perrault and Alexander Cowper Hutchison, and built between 1872 and 1878 in the Second Empire style. It is located in Old Montreal, between Place Jacques-Cartier and the Champ de Mars, at 275 Notre-Dame Street East. The closest Metro station is Champ-de-Mars, on the Orange Line.
As one of the best examples of the Second Empire style in Canada, and the first city hall to have been constructed in the country solely for municipal administration, it was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.