! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
On the back, is a handwritten copy of the original order to the three men (who have signed above) to examine the Cabin Lamp.
Three horizontal folds.
13 ¾" x 8 ⅜"
USS Vandalia 1861 (Harper's)
The Vandalia was an 18-gun sloop-of-war in the United States Navy during the Second Seminole War and the American Civil War. She was named for the city of Vandalia, Illinois. Vandalia was laid down at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in 1825; launched in 1828; and commissioned on 6 November of that year.
…Vandalia's rest ended on 14 February 1853, and the ship soon joined Commodore Matthew C. Perry's East India Squadron. She was present as part of Perry's forces during his second visit to Japan on 13 February 1854, which resulted in the Treaty of Kanagawa opening Japanese ports to American ships. In 1855 she helped to protect American interests in China during the Taiping Rebellion. Vandalia was decommissioned at the Portsmouth Navy Yard on 30 September 1856.
Vandalia was recommissioned on 11 November 1857 for duty with the Pacific Squadron. In 1859, the warship rescued survivors of the American clipper ship Wild Wave, wrecked off Oeno Island in the Pitcairn Islands, and conducted an expedition against natives at Waya, Fiji Islands, following the murder of two American citizens. Vandalia returned to the New York Navy Yard early in 1860 and was decommissioned on 6 January of that year…