1844 Canada letter Quebec to Bouthillier Crown Lands Montreal

$61.00 USD

| /

Partial letter written to Louis-Tancrède Bouthillier, Commissioner of Crown Lands in Montreal. Research implies written by Gilbert Henderson, of Frampton Township, discussion of land boundaries.

Addressed to:

T. Bouthellier Esquire
& & & &
Crown Lands Department
Montreal
 

Top part of letter removed, leaving P.S.:

P.S. if the division line between the Seigneuries on the Chaudiere and Cranbourne is burned we shall not be able to ascertain the limits of the Township without a surveyor & chaining. The latter operation will of course take up some more time.
G.H.
12 Augt 44
 
We have now thought it best to remain at home until we receive your answer in the course of the week, to save the expense of sending a messenger after us.
G.H.
J. Bouthellier Esq

 

On back written:

Joseph Fournier Gilbert Henderson  Frampton 10/14 Aug 1844   Progress of Clergy Inspection.

These two people were owners of land in the township of Frampton QC.

On front red double split ring Quebec cancellation ‘QUEBEC AU 12 1844 L.C.’ and red ‘Too Late

On back black double split ring Montreal cancellation ‘MONTREAL AUG14 1844 L.C.

Vertical crease, some toning, tear where seal removed.

8 x 17 cm 

 

Louis-Tancrède Bouthillier (1796-1881)

In 1832, he was appointed a director of Trinity House and Inspector of potash in Montreal. In the following year, he bought eight lots in Montreal, one of which was in the Côte Sainte-Catherine where he built Outre-Mont., from which the present borough of "Outremont" takes its name.

In 1834, his father-in-law died and he inherited the impressive Maison Beaubien overlooking the Champ de Mars in Montreal. In 1835, he joined his new neighbor, David Ross, as a Commissioner of the Lachine Canal and three years later (1838) was appointed Commissioner of Crown Lands. From 1850, he held the lucrative position of Collector of Customs for the Port of Montreal from which he resigned in 1863 to become Sheriff of Montreal.

https://househistree.com/people/louis-tancrede-bouthillier

Frampton is a municipality in La Nouvelle-Beauce Regional County Municipality in the Chaudière-Appalaches administrative region of Quebec.

After the War of 1812, in the time of land grants were given to soldiers in the region as reward for their service to the British Crown. Brothers William and Gilbert Henderson, originally of the Shetland Islands, and Pierre-Edouard Desbarats, partnered in developing Frampton Township along with the surrounding towns of Saint-Malachie, where both Henderson brothers are buried, and Standon Township. The towns grew with the influx of Irish immigrants to Canada after the war.

In 1844, the 1,662 inhabitants of Frampton were almost exclusively Irish and English speaking.

WIKIPEDIA