! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Interesting note that the date of the sermon is listed as both 1703 and 4!
Inside cover has permission granted by the Parliamentary Clerk Johnson on the 9th of March 1703 to print and publish.
Printed for H. Walwin at the Three Legs in the Poultrey MDCCIV.
Paper toned, some pages partially detached, chipping and small paper loss on two cover paper, mild staining on pages.
19.5 cm x 15.5 cm
John Williams (c.1636 – 24 April 1709) was an English Bishop of Chichester.
He was born about 1636 in Northamptonshire, matriculated from Magdalen Hall, Oxford, on 24 June 1653, graduating B.A. on 14 December 1655 and M.A. on 11 June 1658. He was incorporated at Cambridge in 1660, and was created D.D. of Cambridge, comitiis regiis, in 1690.
On 4 September 1673 he was instituted to the rectory of St. Mildred Poultry, and on 21 September 1683 was collated to the prebend of Rugmere in St. Paul's. After the Glorious Revolution he became chaplain to William III and Mary II, and was preferred to a prebend of Canterbury. In 1695 and in 1696 he was Boyle Lecturer, publishing his sermons separately as they were delivered. A collective edition appeared in 1708.
On 13 December 1696 he was consecrated bishop of Chichester. He died in London in Gray's Inn on 24 April 1709, and was buried on 28 April in the church of St. Mildred Poultry.