$61.00 USD– Sold Out
Nice early photo postcard of the small Silver Cliff mine in the Cobalt area during the Silver Rush of the early 1900s. Men standing beside ore cars.
Mine was located on the shores of Crosswise Lake, about 2km east of Cobalt. Next to it was the King Edward Mine.
Written on negative ‘SILVER CLIFF’
Written in French at top of photo “Mine d’argent Cobalt” (‘Silver mine Cobalt’) .
‘AZO’ photographic paper dates photo to 1908-1911
Small corner nick UL.
Silver Cliff Mine, Coleman Township, Cobalt area, Cobalt-Gowganda region, Timiskaming District
Discovered in 1907 it was operated by various mining companies until it shut down in 1951. Production came from two adits and a 160 ft deep shaft. Total production was 535,000 oz. Ag; 9,300 lbs. Co; 15,000 lbs. Ni; and 6,000 lbs. Cu
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.