Labeled on negative ’1242. THE LEANCHOIL RANGE, ROCKY MTS. W.H.B’
Scarce photo, mainly found in museum collections.
Silver gelatin print, lovely sepia-tone colour.
Mounted on thick cardboard card. Written in french in pencil at top of card: “Chaine des Leanchoil Montagnes Rocheuses’
Scratches LL corner of photo (no loss of photo). Toning on edges of cardboard card, light warping.
Photo: 7-⅜” x 9-½”
Card: 9-½” x 12-¼”
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
William Hanson Boorne was trained as a pharmacist and emigrated to Bird's Hill, Manitoba, from Bristol, England, in 1882. He moved to Calgary in 1885 and decided to become a professional photographer. He had been an amateur photographer in England. He appears to have opened a business on his own account in Calgary for a short time.
He returned to England to buy photography equipment and to convince his cousin, Ernest Gundry May, who also had photographic experience, to open a photography studio with him in Calgary. The firm, Boorne and May, opened in 1886 with Boorne as photographer and May as darkroom technician. Their photographs deal mainly with railway construction, the development of towns and cities and mountain scenes.
...Boorne opened a branch studio in Banff in 1889, and one in Edmonton in 1891. The Calgary headquarters was located on 3rd Avenue SW and it was here that stock photographs, souvenir albums and magic lantern slides were produced. The portrait studio on 8th Avenue SW was also the retail outlet for the company's products. The company was incorporated as Boorne and May Co. Ltd. in 1892, but by 1893 it was in financial trouble. Boorne sold the Edmonton studio to C. W. Mathers and the other studios folded...
The original photographs show Boorne's first home; farming and ranching scenes (the High River cattle round-up in 1886); portraits of Sarcees and the sun dance ritual (1887); and his trip along the Canadian Pacific Railway line through Banff and area, the Selkirk Range, the Columbia River area, Fort Steele, the Kootenay area and Vancouver and Victoria (1889).