Nice page from a book of the Coat of Arms of the Knights of the Golden Fleece. This page is for King James V of Scotland, all of the different coats of arms are hand-coloured.
Page #189/190 from the book:
'The Coats of Arms of the Knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece...' by Jean-Baptiste Maurice, official of the Royal Court. Published in Belgium in 1667.
Nice calligraphy of letter 'C', and nice large engraving on back of page.
Paper has some crinkling. Some mild browning of paper, the color inking of the coats of arms has caused some bleeding into the next page (see photos)
36 x 22.5 cm
James V (10 April 1512 – 14 December 1542) was King of Scots from 9 September 1513 until his death, which followed the Scottish defeat at the Battle of Solway Moss. His only surviving legitimate child, Mary, succeeded him to the throne when she was just six days old.
The Order of the Golden Fleece is an order of chivalry founded in Bruges by Philip III, Duke of Burgundy in 1430, to celebrate his marriage to the Portuguese princess Infanta Isabella of Portugal, daughter of King John I of Portugal. It became one of the most prestigious orders in Europe.
The Order of the Golden Fleece was established on 10 January 1430, by Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy, in celebration of the prosperous and wealthy domains united in his person that ran from Flanders to Switzerland. It is restricted to a limited number of knights, initially 24 but increased to 30 in 1433, and 50 in 1516, plus the sovereign..... The order, conceived in an ecclesiastical spirit in which mass and obsequies were prominent and the knights were seated in choirstalls like canons, was explicitly denied to "heretics", and so became an exclusively Catholic award during the Reformation. The officers of the order were the chancellor, the treasurer, the registrar, and the King of Arms, or herald, "Toison d'Or".
Nice page in Latin from 16th century religious book. Page from 'Hortulus anime cum horis beate...
Fabulous insight into medical knowledge of that time! Pages 161-64 from ‘The Workes of that...