Letter using envelope with ‘The Richelieu and Ontario Navigation Company No. 228 St. Paul Street and 77 Commissioners Street’ and superb image of the ‘Quebec’ paddle wheel steamboat.
Cover has ‘REGISTERED’ cancellation, along with 2¢ orange Registered stamp and 6¢ brown Small Queen.
Postmarked on front ‘MONTREAL AU 22 82 CANADA’ and on back ’HAMILTON AU 23 82 CANADA’ and ‘ALDERSHOT AU 23 82 ONT.’
Nice red seal on back ’THE RICHELIEU & ONTARIO ____’.
Nice condition, few paper creases. Hinge remnant on back. Some light smudges.
3 ⅜” x 5 ¾”
The Richelieu & Ontario Steamship Company started in 1875 as a merger of the Canadian Navigation Company of Ontario and La Compagnie du Richelieu. It acquired the St. Lawrence River Steam Navigation Company in 1886, followed by the Northern Navigation Company in 1911, and the Thousand Island Steamboat Company and Niagara Navigation in 1912. The company was reorganized in 1913 as the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Company Limited. It was acquired by Canad Steamship Lines in 1914.
Steamboats on the Lakes by Maurice D. Smith