! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison
Four-page printed pamphlet with:
Multiple autographs: Lawler, Herbert, Watson, Lewis… Some graduates, some…?
Folds and creases. Small tears along spine.
16 x 12 cm.
RCAF Station Aylmer was a Royal Canadian Air Force airfield that was built between late 1940 and June 1941 northeast of Aylmer, Ontario. It was one of many built across Canada under the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan during World War II.
The first school at the airfield was No. 14 Service Flying Training School (SFTS). RCAF staff began arriving at the station before construction was finished. First to arrive was a 17-man security party under Sgt. Les Oliver in late March. Squadron Leader T. Moreton, the first officer, arrived on 2 June 1941 to manage the new station's equipment. Wing Commander Norman Irwin arrived at Aylmer on 18 June 1941 on "Temporary Duty" and was appointed C.O. when the station was activated on 3 July 1941.
Opening ceremonies were held on 2 August 1941 with the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario Albert Matthews and the Premier of Ontario Mitchell Hepburn on hand. The new station was open to the public that afternoon and guests were treated to an aerobatic display by the instructors.
Relief airfields were R1—Yarmouth Centre, Ontario and R2—Tillsonburg, Ontario. Pilots used North American Harvards and Avro Ansons as their advanced trainers. Some North American Yales arrived on 23 January 1942 and were mainly used for navigation exercises. No. 14 SFTS moved to Kingston in August 1944.
Twelve flying instructors and 26 students lost their lives training at No. 14 SFTS.