Vintage photo of Native family (Fort Pelly, Sask?) early 1900s #1 of 3

Rare early image of Native life, family of five outside log cabin.

One of three photos being offered that was taken by G. Vendome. One picture has Fort Pelly identified as its location. Was this also taken there? Similar theme and layout.

Ink stamped on back:

Photographed by
G. VENDOME

 

and:

Address:
G. VENDOME
Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Canada

 

Gelatin silver print mounted on period yellow cardboard card.

Stain right margin, some fading of margin colour on back.

13 X 10.5 cm. 

(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)

 

Research has found one G. Vendome in Winnipeg at this time:

George Raimbault Vendome (1866-1929)

Born France, died St Boniface MB. Emigrated in 1896 to Ellis Island via Southampton (destination Canada), then again in 1910 to St John N.B. via Havre (destination Winnipeg).

The Manitoba Historical Society has images from the G.R. Vendome Collection dated 1915.

In 1973 the LEGISLATIVE LIBRARY AND PROVINCIAL ARCHIVES acquired the G.R. Vendome Collection included fifty-five rare early photographs of the Trappist Monastery at St. Norbert.

Genealogical and Manitoba records

Fort Pelly was a Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post located in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. The fort was probably named after Sir John Pelly, governor of the Hudson's Bay Company.

Fort Pelly was moved in 1856. This move, to approximately one quarter mile southeast of the original position, was due to problems with occasional flooding at the old location. The old fort was however still used in some capacity until at least 1859. On July 15, 1870, the Hudson's Bay Company surrendered its lands to Canada, while retaining its posts and some land immediately surrounding them. The fort was now located on block 17 of the Fort Pelly Reserve. Around 1871 Fort Ellice succeeded Fort Pelly as district headquarters. In 1909 the Canadian Northern Railway was built 6 miles north of Fort Pelly, and trade at the fort all but ceased, and it was abandoned in June, 1912.

WIKIPEDIA