! COVID-19: Expect longer shipping times // Attendez-vous à des délais de livraison

Vintage photo of Chief Keeseekouse and family (Fort Pelly, Sask) pre-1905 #2 of 3

Rare early image of Native life, Chief with wife and child.

Ink stamped on back:

Photographed by:
G. VENDOME

 

and:

Address:
G. VENDOME
Winnipeg,
Manitoba, Canada

 

Written in pencil in French (hard to decode):

Keese Kouse
Chef de reserve
Près du Fort Pelly
Assa
Cdn

 

(Keeseekoose – Chief of the reserve near Fort Pelly, Assiniboia, Canada)

 

Gelatin silver print mounted on period yellow cardboard card.

Vertical bend down photo (folded?). Image washed out. Staining and aging on back.

13 X 10.5 cm. 

 

Research has found one G. Vendome in Winnipeg at this time:

George Raimbault Vendome (1866-1929)

Born France, died St Boniface MB. Emigrated in 1896 to Ellis Island via Southampton (destination Canada), then again in 1910 to St John N.B. via Havre (destination Winnipeg).

The Manitoba Historical Society has images from the G.R. Vendome Collection dated 1915.

In 1973 the LEGISLATIVE LIBRARY AND PROVINCIAL ARCHIVES acquired the G.R. Vendome Collection included fifty-five rare early photographs of the Trappist Monastery at St. Norbert.

 

Fort Pelly was a Hudson's Bay Company fur trading post located in the Canadian province of Saskatchewan. The fort was probably named after Sir John Pelly, governor of the Hudson's Bay Company.

Fort Pelly was moved in 1856. This move, to approximately one quarter mile southeast of the original position, was due to problems with occasional flooding at the old location. The old fort was however still used in some capacity until at least 1859. On July 15, 1870, the Hudson's Bay Company surrendered its lands to Canada, while retaining its posts and some land immediately surrounding them. The fort was now located on block 17 of the Fort Pelly Reserve. Around 1871 Fort Ellice succeeded Fort Pelly as district headquarters. In 1909 the Canadian Northern Railway was built 6 miles north of Fort Pelly, and trade at the fort all but ceased, and it was abandoned in June, 1912.

WIKIPEDIA

Keeseekoose First Nation is a Saulteaux First Nation reserve located in Kamsack, Saskatchewan, Canada. It is located next to the Coté First Nation reserve. The Keeseekoose were originally set aside the Swan River First Nation of Manitoba but flooding forced a relocation away from Manitoba, to where the Coté lived. They are a Saulteaux band who spoke the Saulteaux Dialect of the Ojibwe Language.

It has 24 Reserves and share the Treaty Four Reserve Grounds 77 with many other Treaty Four First Nations. Total on-Reserve population is 679. Off-Reserve population is 1,564. Total population is 2,243. When including the Coté First Nations whom they share the same Reserve with, the total population is 5,726. The area covered by the Keeseekoose Reserves is 8,475 hectares or 20,942 acres. When including the Cote, the area increases to near 41,000 acres or 16,567 hectares.

Originally the Keeseekoose Ojibways lived on the plains of Manitoba and probably the forest to the north. Their food supply was largely buffalo which pemmican was prepared from. They also hunted the forest for deer, moose and other wild game. Their country was teaming with incredible numbers of waterways which they utilized for more food. They probably harvested the wild rice that grew on the waterways of Manitoba. In fact, wild rice was probably one of their major food sources. Chief Keeseekoose saw that his subjects were going hungry in the early 1870s and put their welfare first and signed treaty four on September 15, 1874. An event occurred after the Swan River First Nation of Manitoba was established for the Ojibways under Chief Keeseekoose's leadership, after treaty four was signed which forced the Keeseekoose Ojibways to reluctantly relocate to the Cote First Nation of Saskatchewan. Flooding hit the Reserve and caused an exodus towards the Cote Ojibways where they still live.

WIKIPEDIA