Large advertising card.
Card measures 10.5 X 17.5 cm
GURNEY, EDWARD, was born in 1817 in Steuben Township, Oneida County, NewYork, USA son of Byrem Gurney. He married Nancy, and they had one son and one daughter. He died on November 21, 1884 in Hamilton, Ontario.
When Edward Gurney was a young man his family moved to Utica, N.Y., where he and his brother Charles learned the iron-moulding trade. In December 1842 the family immigrated to Hamilton, Canada West. The next year Edward and Charles, each supplying $1,400 capital, began a stove manufacturing business. Initially, employing only one man and one boy, the company produced two stoves per day. In the early years sales were excellent, but payments were slow and there is a legend that on one occasion the firm was saved financially by John Fisher, who with Calvin McQuesten operated a threshing machine factory in Hamilton. The Gurney brothers’ business prospered, however, and in 1847 Edward and Charles formed a partnership with Alexander Carpenter, a Hamilton businessman who held a patent on a new cooking stove design. Originally established as Carpenter, Gurney and Company, the firm soon became Gurneys and Carpenter and expanded into the production of a wide variety of iron products. By 1856 it was estimated that the worth of the firm was approximately $200,000. In 1859 the partners took a patent on the new Protectionist stove and the next year built a larger foundry. In 1861 Carpenter retired; the new firm, E. and C. Gurney and Company, continued to grow and soon employed some 100 men and produced a greatly increased variety of products. By the early 1870s the estimated capital of the company was between $750,000 and $1,000,000. In 1875 the factory was enlarged to cover almost a city block.
Success led to the opening of branches. In 1868 the Gurneys had purchased John McGee’s Phoenix Foundry in Toronto and made Edward Gurney Jr manager. The Toronto operation prospered and by 1875, carrying lines similar to those of the Hamilton factory, had equalled the business of the parent plant. Branches were also opened in Montreal and Winnipeg. This expansion allowed the ageing Gurney brothers to bring Charles’s son George into the business, as well as a nephew, John H. Tilden. In August 1883 the partnership was incorporated as E. and C. Gurney Company (Limited), with a capitalization of $300,000 and Edward as president.
Mary and Ann Hogarthfrom the old Frock-shop the corner...
One of set of 6. In return for sending in 25 wrappers to James S....