$25.00 CAD– Sold Out
Racist image used for selling farm implements.
Front has African-American theme with series title ‘The Coontown Gun Club’ and image title ‘Waiting for the Birds to Rise’
Image has four people (assuming all are African-American): two running away, one on ground afraid, and the other with gun, waiting for three dogs to flush out birds.
Nice advertising on back for ’The Celebrated LA BELLE WAGON, MANUFACTURED AT Fond Du Lac Wis.'
Farmers and ALL!!! Save Money! The best is the cheapest!! Finest painted wagons..the lightest running axles in the World..A saving in TIME, HORSE-FLESH and FEED.
Colors faded. Scuffing of color LR corner. Small hole (left tree UR).
4.5 X 2 3/4”
The two-story, brick-trimmed and stone-constructed building located along the north half of the subject block was built for the La Belle Wagon Works. William Bensel, a local contractor and builder, is identified as having built the structure. The wagon works firm was established in 1868 by William and James H. Farnsworth, as well as William H. Knapp under the name of Farnsworth Bros., Knapp & Co. In 1873-74, interest in the company was purchased by Benjamin F. Moore and A.G. Ruggles and the name was changed to the La Belle Wagon Works (William Farnsworth maintained an interest in the company until 1876 and James H. Farnsworth served as the business manager until 1879, after which he served as Secretary). As of 1874, the company is identified as producing 3,000 wagons annually and, in 1880, a county history identifies that 200 workers were producing 20 wagons a day. In 1887, the company was sold to Minneapolis parties who planned to relocated the firm to Fridley, Minnesota (immediately north of Minneapolis). At that time, the firm employed approximately 250 men and made 6,000 wagons a year. Although the company remained in Fond du Lac for at least two more years, it was by 1890 moved to Superior, Wisconsin, where it is said to have ultimately folded in 1896.