Early photo of shores of lake in mining town of Cobalt. On foreground shore, can see that land has been recently cleared…tree stumps. On far shore can see long line of railways cars, multiple buildings on Commission St.
Printed on negative “COBALT LAKE”
No date or postcard publisher.
Ink smudge right side. Toning on back around edges.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.