Central Presbyterian Church - Order of Service for Sunday December 18th, 1898.
Front has drawing of the church.
4 pages: front, Order of Service for the Morning and Evening Services, In Memoriam, and back page with Announcements.
Minister: Rev. Dr. Samuel Lyle. His son was a well known architect.
Church burned down in 1905 and John Lyle was the architect for the rebuilding.
Nice condition, folded in three. Some light smudging on front covers.
Two identical pamphlets being offered.
Central Presbyterian Church is a Presbyterian Church in Canada congregation in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, located in the downtown area at the corner of Charlton (165 Charlton Avenue West) and Caroline Street South.
The congregation was formed in 1841, as a part of the United Presbyterian Church of Scotland's Canadian Synod, and had been served monthly since 1837 from nearby West Flamboro by the UPC's pioneer missionary to the region, Thomas Christie.
The congregation first met in a former schoolhouse in downtown Hamilton, with close proximity to two larger Presbyterian congregations, St Andrew's (now St. Paul's), the large Church of Scotland congregation, and MacNab Street Presbyterian Church (Hamilton), the second "Free Church". It was rebuilt in 1858, and became known as Central Presbyterian Church after the 1875 merger and affiliation within the Presbyterian Church in Canada; the successful union proposals were inaugurated by their former pastor William Ormiston, prior to his move to New York City in 1870.
On June 21, 1906, the 1858 building was destroyed in a massive fire, and plans were commenced to rebuild in a new location; the minister's son, John M. Lyle, was architect of the new building, which was opened on June 14, 1908, complemented with a large Casavant Frères pipe organ. Lyle was responsible for Toronto's Royal Alexandra Theatre, the Runnymede branch of the Toronto Public Library and Union Station (Toronto), amongst many other well-known buildings in the region. Central is the only church structure that Lyle designed.