1955 Postcard of Cunard R.M.S. “Franconia” with log abstracts

SOLD

                           Cunard Steam-Ship Co.
R.M.S. “Franconia” Captain D.M. MacLean D.S.C., R.D., R.N.R.
             Quebec to Southampton via Le Harve

 

1955 August 3-12.  For each day: Miles. Lat. + Long., Weather etc.

Total of 2633 miles in 7days 15 hrs 54 min., avg. speed 14.32 knots.

 

The RMS Franconia was an ocean liner operated by the Cunard Line from 1922 to 1956. She was second of three liners named Franconia which served the Cunard Line, the others being RMS Franconia built in 1910 and the third Franconia in 1963.

In September 1939, she was requisitioned as a troopship after refitting at Liverpool. She had a collision off Malta with the armed merchant cruiser Alcantara, but was repaired in time to take part in the Norwegian campaign. On 16 June 1940, while en route to St Nazaire as part of Operation Ariel (the evacuation of the Second British Expeditionary Force from France), she was damaged by near-misses from German bombs and was escorted back to Liverpool for repairs.

In 1945 she was used as a headquarters ship for Winston Churchill and the British delegation at the Yalta Conference.  

Franconia was returned to Cunard in June 1948 and was refitted on Clydeside; finally resuming passenger service on 2 June 1949 on the Liverpool to Quebec and Liverpool to Halifax routes.In this role, Franconia brought many postwar immigrants and refugees to Canada. The Franconia was retired in 1956 with her fleetmate RMS Ascania.

Fraconia's pre-war around-the-world cruises and distinguished wartime service made her a popular name within Cunard so in 1963, RMS Ivernia was renamed Franconia to continue the name within the company. In recognition of her important Canadian immigration role, Cunard Line gave the builder's model of Franconia to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

WIKIPEDIA