‘REAL PHOTO PUBLISHED BY RUMSEY & CO. TORONTO, CAN.’
Photo of mine site buildings.
On back, french text dated December 20th 1913. Sent by A. Dumont to his cousin:
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Nipissing high grade mill operated from 1911 until 1918, which the introduction of new processing methods at the low grade mill make the high grade mill obsolete. It is not known if the building was torn down or if, like so many others in the area, it burned down.
The Nipissing Mine is an abandoned silver mine in Cobalt, Ontario, Canada, located on Nip Hill on the east side of Long Lake.
It was developed in the subsequent Cobalt silver rush of 1903. The original 843 acres of claims were purchased by Ellis P. Earle from the Ferland Syndicate. By 1907, it was the top producing mine in the area. The company completely surrounded Peterson and Carr lakes and occupied the east side of Cobalt Lake. At its peak, the mine had ten shafts working three veins, the Kendall, Meyer and Fourth of July. Additionally, it used hydraulics to strip the overburden and employed an aerial tramway.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.
The Cobalt Rush was instrumental in opening northern Ontario for mineral exploration. Prospectors fanned out from Cobalt, and soon caused the nearby Porcupine Gold Rush in 1909, and the Kirkland Lake Gold Rush of 1912. Much of the settlement in northern Ontario outside the Clay Belt owes its existence indirectly to the Cobalt Rush.WIKIPEDIA
Early photo of shores of lake in mining town of Cobalt. On foreground shore, can...
Scarce small ‘Book Post Card’. Photo of an intersection in Haileybury Northern Ontario. Horse drawn buggy....