Miners working at surface, one standing next to rock drill.
Postmarked ‘SEP 3 1912’ Duluth Minnesota to Chicago.
The Valentine & Sons’ Publishing Co. Ltd. Montreal and Toronto. Printed in Great Britain for the Canada Railway News Co. Ltd. Toronto.
In 1905 rich silver ore was found on the Green-Meehan property by Philip Green. In the following year, Green-Meehan Mining Co.Ltd. undertook development of the property and sank a 200-ft. shaft but the results at depth were disappointing. Between 1906 and 1907, Red Rock Silver Mining Co. put down a 110ft. shaft and discovered a rich ore shoot 16 feet long that produced 60,000 oz. of silver. Various companys operated the mine after 1909 and in 1917 Wright Limited built a mill which treated the ore from the Green-Meehan, Red Rock and other properties in the area.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.