‘A pretty Drive near Green Mehan Mine, Haileybury.’
Postmarked ‘Feb 2_ 1910’ Haileybury ON to Fenelon Falls ON.
Horse and carriage on a dirt road through the forest.
Little crease UR corner.
In 1905 rich silver ore was found on the Green-Meehan property by Philip Green. In the following year, Green-Meehan Mining Co.Ltd. undertook development of the property and sank a 200-ft. shaft but the results at depth were disappointing. Between 1906 and 1907, Red Rock Silver Mining Co. put down a 110ft. shaft and discovered a rich ore shoot 16 feet long that produced 60,000 oz. of silver. Various companys operated the mine after 1909 and in 1917 Wright Limited built a mill which treated the ore from the Green-Meehan, Red Rock and other properties in the area.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.
The Cobalt Rush was instrumental in opening northern Ontario for mineral exploration. Prospectors fanned out from Cobalt, and soon caused the nearby Porcupine Gold Rush in 1909, and the Kirkland Lake Gold Rush of 1912. Much of the settlement in northern Ontario outside the Clay Belt owes its existence indirectly to the Cobalt Rush.
Postcard photo of early years of the Northern Ontario mining silver rush town of Cobalt....
Nice image of Northern Ontario town of Haileybury, around time of nearby Cobalt Silver Rush....