Dated July 31/08, order for 2 ore cars (14 cu.ft.), total of $104.00.
Nice letterhead for H.W. Petrie Toronto,
‘Men’s time is charged from the time they leave the shop until they return’
General Machinery Dealer
Adjoining New Union Passenger Station
Nice invoice from early years of the Cobalt Silver Rush.
One horizontal fold, other lesser crinkles. Slight tear along fold. Two storage holes at top, paper loss near ‘2’ of quantity.
18.5 X 18.5 cm.
The business was established by H. W. Petrie in 1877. In 1882 Mr. A. Petrie joined the firm which sold new and used machinery, and apparently also manufactured some machines as well. In late 1891 the business officially relocated to Toronto in order to have improved transportion and market access; Petrie had already had a Toronto sales office for some time but we believe that a Toronto name marked on a Petrie machine implies that it is dated after 1891.
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.
Nice page in Latin from 16th century religious book. Page from 'Hortulus anime cum horis beate...
Fabulous insight into medical knowledge of that time! Pages 161-64 from ‘The Workes of that...