1906 early photo postcard of Main St. Haileybury Ontario

Nice image of Northern Ontario town of Haileybury, around time of nearby Cobalt Silver Rush.

Dirt street, some logs piled at right for men putting up a new building. Can see store sign ‘F. WOODHOUSE TAYLOR’.

Labeled bottom left of photo ‘HAILEYBURY ONT.

Written on front “Main street Haileybury. As at ---Great. Not this. Bert


Mailed to ‘The Willows Hamilton Beach Ontario’. Postmarked ‘HAILEYBURY ONT JUL 25 06’ on 1 cent Edward VII stamp. Receiving postmark ‘HAMILTON BEACH ONT JUL 27 06’.

Dearest, hot as --- today, cannot find a cool place. Write soon. Lovingly Bert


Haileybury was founded in 1889 by Charles Cobbold Farr, who named the newly founded town after the Haileybury and Imperial Service College, his former school in England. Haileybury was formally incorporated as a town in 1904. Farr encouraged settlement in the area, penning his own promotional pamphlet, entitled "The Lake Temiskamingue District", in an effort to attract new settlers to the region. Marketed to settlers as prime agricultural land, Haileybury had only a handful of residents until the arrival of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway in the early 1900s, and the subsequent discovery of large silver deposits in neighboring Cobalt in 1903. During the Cobalt Silver Rush, Haileybury became a 'bedroom community' that served the needs of the many miners and, most famously, many mine owners and managers.


Related Items