THOMSON LINE Bordeaux and Charente to Canada
Great vignette of sail/steam ship.
Back has French excise stamp.
Folded horizontally at bottom. Stamp glue has affected ship image.
28 X 22.5 cm (WxH)
Established in 1847 by Lucien Foucauld, the passion of Lucien Foucauld for cognac led him to create one of the most famous cognacs.
Jury Member of the International Exhibition of Le Havre in 1887, Lucien Foucauld was later member of committee Universal Exhibition Organization of Paris 1889 and 1900.
Originally, from 1849 the line carried cargos of fruit, wine, and brandy from Marseilles, Tarragona, Denia, Malaga, Cadiz and Charente to Montreal. Their fruit was in such excellent condition that merchants from Canada and the US came to Montreal to buy from them. They added Leghorn to their stops for marble; Naples and Sicily for lemons and oranges; Patras for currants; Valencia and Burriana for oranges and Bordeaux for wine. They ran fortnightly between Newcastle and Montreal, calling at London, Dundee or Aberdeen. Few details are available of the early activities of the company's steamers, but in 1880 they began to carry cattle from Canada to Britain and from an early date, passengers and cargo were carried between the Mediterranean and Canada. In 1884 the company became known as Wm. Thomson & Sons. In 1907 the company was taken over by Cairn Line (Cairns, Noble & Co.) but the name Thomson Line was retained. Thomson Line passenger ships were sold to Cunard Line in 1911 and the company then operated only cargo services under the name Cairn - Thomson Line.