Chicago & North-Western Railway Co.
Receipt for shipment on Nov 1 1870 to Lt. A.L. Varney, care J.H. Belcher Omaha Cheyenne of:
Shipping costs of $4.97.
Pencil notation ‘Delivered 11-3-70’.
Also has blue stamp: 'GENERAL FREIGHT OFFICE EXAMINED NOV 29 1870'.
In the first quarter of 1870, Lieutenant A.L. Varney was an acting assistant quartermaster.
In the Army and Navy Journal listing for August 20, 1870 there is notice for "...Upon the recommendation of the Chief of Ordnance...Second Lieutenant A.L. Varney, from Watertown Arsenal, Watertown Massachusetts, to Cheyenne Depot, Wyoming Territory...".
There is a listing for a 'Captain J.H. Belcher, assistant quartermaster, Omaha, Nebraska'.
4-5/8" x 8-1/2"
The Chicago and North Western Railway was chartered on June 7, 1859. It had purchased the assets of the bankrupt Chicago, St. Paul and Fond du Lac Railroad five days earlier. On February 15, 1865, it officially merged with the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad, which had been chartered on January 16, 1836. Since the Galena & Chicago Union started operating in December 1848, and the Fond du Lac railroad started in March, 1855, the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad is considered to be the origin of the North Western railroad system. The Winona and St. Peter Railroad was added to the network in 1867.