Printed letter in French, sent to heads of Seminaries and Congregations, that gives details on the Diocese of Toronto, and current needs:
Hand-written note suggesting interested parties to contact nearest House, confirming his address in Paris while in France, and forwarding address in Toronto.
This particular letter has a handwritten note on last page from Bishop Charbonnel, dated Lyon 16th July 1850, and forwarded to M. Count de Charbonnel in Allier. Friendly greetings, he is touring France (said mass 3 times on Sunday in Monistrol), busy organizing the trip of several missionaries to Toronto. He leaves 15th-20th August.
Armand-François-Marie de Charbonnel (1802 – 1891) was the Bishop of Toronto from 1847 to 1860 and the only French and non-English priest to hold the post.
With the death of Bishop Power of Toronto, the Canadian hierarchy asked the Propaganda in Rome to appoint Charbonnnel. Pope Pius IX consecrated him bishop in the Sistine Chapel on 26 May 1850. Charbonnel left for Toronto in 1847 as the city's Bishop. Bishop Charbonnel arrived in Toronto on 21 September 1850. He worked to give the diocese a stable pastoral and financial footing. An eloquent preacher Bishop Charbonnel nonetheless, never felt up to the responsibilities of bishop, because of the linguistic and cultural gap that existed between him and his flock.
Much of the Toronto diocese's debt was retired using money from his paternal estate in France. During his ten-year episcopate, he built twenty-three churches, organized the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, and founded important institutions: hospitals, orphanages, homes for the elderly and youth hostels. Bishop Charbonnel brought several religious communities to the diocese to look after education and social assistance, among others, the Christian Brothers, the Basilian Fathers, and the Sisters of St. Joseph.