Nice pre-Confederation item.
Date 29th August 1849
Marriage between William Cyrus Inglehart and Mary Bray, in the Township of Trafalgar in the Gore, were married by Wellington Jeffers, Minister of the WESLEYAN METHODIST CHURCH in the presence of John Bray.
Signed by John Bray, Cyrus Mason (witness) and W. Jeffers.
Certificate is glued to cardboard backing, along with death notice of Mrs. Mary Inglehart (1855). She had four children, one of whom, at 4 yrs old, has also just died.
Reverse of cardboard has other regional newspaper death notices (1950s).
Browning spots on certificate. Carboard backing many chips and nicks.
Certificate: 20 X 16 cm
Cardboard: 27.5 X 20 cm
Rev. Wellington Jeffers D.D. teacher, Methodist minister, and editor was born on June 22, 1814 in Cork (Republic of Ireland), son of Robert Jeffers and Nancy Maurice and landed in Canada in 1817. He married first on July 6, 1841 Jane Frith, and they had two sons and a daughter. He married secondly on June 21, 1854 Jane Eleanor Dougall in Belleville, Upper Canada, and they had one daughter and he died there on February 10, 1896...In Montreal Jeffers’s health broke down, and he was transferred to quieter work with the Ojibwas on the north shore of Rice Lake, Upper Canada...Jeffers was supportive of the abolition of slavery...Jeffers’s mental prowess and lucid tongue made him a formidable debater....
Along with Wentworth County, Halton County was created in 1816 as part of the Gore District, consisting of the townships of Trafalgar, Nelson, Flamborough, and Beverley, together with certain blocks of land on the Grand River and reserved lands to the rear of the townships of Blenheim and Blandford. In 1821, the county was expanded through the addition of the townships of Esquesing, Erin, Nassagaweya, Eramosa, and Garafraxa, together with certain church land.
When the Gore District was abolished in 1850, the township of Erin was fully withdrawn and Halton County was united with Wentworth County to form the United Counties of Wentworth and Halton. As a result of a territorial reorganization in 1851, Halton County was reduced in size, with only the townships of Esquesing, Trafalgar, Nassageweya and Nelson remaining, and the union of counties was abolished in 1854.