Pre-Civil War printed invitation to a Stockholders meeting in Boston.
Stampless mailing to Mrs. D. Pickman Esq. Salem. Postmarked in red ‘BOSTON 4 OCT 5cts‘. This may be the wife of famous businessman Dudley Pickman who died in 1846.
Folded twice to form an envelope. Additional vertical fold.
7 ⅝” x 5”
The Lancasters Mills are a 19th-century complex of predominantly brick mill buildings at the corner of Green and Chestnut Streets, near the center of Clinton, Massachusetts. Founded in 1844 by a group led by Erastus and Horatio Bigelow, the Lancaster Mills were the first major mill to produce gingham fabrics. Its success in the 1840s led to the establishment of the town of Clinton out of Lancaster. The 29-acre (12 ha) complex was expanded regularly throughout the 19th century and was used for textile manufacturing into the 20th century.
The Mills, and the Tenement houses adjacent to the Mills, were built by William T. Merrifield, a contractor from nearby Worcester Massachusetts. Merrifield won the contract in 1844 and completed the construction in 1848. During those four years he lived in Clinton.
The mill complex was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.
Dudley Leavitt Pickman (1779–1846) was a Salem, Massachusetts, merchant who built one of the great Salem trading firms during the seaport's ascendancy as a trading power in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Pickman was a partner in the firm Devereux, Pickman & Silsbee and a state senator. Among the wealthiest Salem merchants of his day, Pickman used his own clipper ships to trade with the Far East in an array of goods ranging from indigo and coffee to pepper and spices, and was one of the state's earliest financiers, backing everything from cotton and woolen mills to railroads to water-generated power plants.
SOLD Issued in 1850, this is the first stock certificate with a vignette from the...
£100 Province of Canada £100 #115 Debenture #115 ...