Photo postcard of Timmins Ontario school on Arbor Day c. 1910

Rare early image of the Northeastern Ontario mining settlement.

Arbor Day is a holiday in which individuals and groups are encouraged to plant trees.

Can see newly cleared forest on left of photo. Appears that they are going to plant Christmas trees. School ages range from very young to youth, girls on left, boys on right. Schoolteacher at left, pet dog at right. In right background wood outhouse, and other wooden buildings.

Printed at bottom, on negative, photographer name ‘Peter’ and ‘Arbor Day Timmins School

Based on AZO photographoic paper used, dates from 1904-1918.

Unused

Condition is poor. Couple of vertical crease/tears borrom left. Staining along top edge. Some rust spots all over. Back is stained and toned.

(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale).

 

The area became home to dozens of prospectors during the "Porcupine Gold Rush" who explored the areas around Porcupine Lake and the Frederick House River. Rich ore deposits in the Canadian Shield led to Timmins being founded as a company town to house Hollinger employees. In 1912, mine manager Alphonse "Al" Paré named the mining settlement for his uncle, Noah Timmins, who was President of Hollinger Mines. Most settlers grouped around Porcupine Lake and the Dome, one mile from the lake. Four miles down the road, around the McIntyre Mine, the hamlet of Schumacher was established. The rail system that began to operate around Timmins in 1911 accelerated the growth of the camp.

WIKIPEDIA


Next Previous

Related Items