Panoramic Cobalt Ontario mining district postcard c. 1908

Scarce dual postcard with panoramic photographic view of the new Silver Rush town of Cobalt Ontario, built around Cobalt lake.

Mine shafts (Cleveland Cobalt), rail cars, industrial smoke, dirt roads, cleared forest, etc..

COBALT, CANADA

Some text printed on left side "this end mines(?) hazard(?)" with arrow pointing left.

Published by 'Warwick Bro’s & Rutter, Limited, Printer. Toronto 4942'.

Fold between two halves reinforced with scotch tape on back. Some corner smudges on front, light smudges on back.

9 x 28 cm.

 

The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.

WIKIPEDIA

Warwick Brothers & Rutter, Ltd., a Toronto-based printing company, is known to have published in the vicinity of 7,500 picture postcards between 1903 and 1912. Warwick produced colour lithographed cards on its own presses in Canada rather than outsourcing that work to printers in Germany or England, as was then the prevailing practice among its Canadian competitors (and among postcard publishers in most other countries as well).

https://torontopostcardclub.com


Next Previous

Related Items