Photo postcard early days gold mining boom town of Porcupine. Located in the Timmins area of Northern Ontario
Undated, is it original start of the town or the rebuilding of Porcupine after the Great Fire of 1911? Based on CYKO photographic paper used it dates from 1904-1920.
Written on negative ‘PORCUPINE CITY Looking from South End”
Light toning on back on edges.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Situated at the eastern end of Porcupine Lake, just northeast of the community of South Porcupine. Porcupine represents the easternmost part of the city's urban core. It was originally known as "Golden City" in its early days. A fire devastated the area in 1911. The great fire engulfed communities from the Porcupine to Cochrane. People fled to the lake to survive. It was founded at the beginning of the Porcupine Gold Rush. Porcupine, Pottsville and South Porcupine were the three towns making up the 12 mile portion of gold-bearing land known as the Porcupine Camp.
The Porcupine Gold Rush was a gold rush that took place in Northern Ontario starting in 1909 and developing fully by 1911.