1909-1910 wintertime photo of log cabins being constructed in forest area. Team of horses with supply cart, men unloading it. Early beginnings of the mining boom town of Porcupine, in the Timmins area of Northern Ontario.
Written on negative 'Porcupine City'.
Text on back “How do you like the town. I haven’t been there yet, but they say its growing every day”.
Printed by ‘MacLean Photo Haileybury Ont.’ (Alex Maclean)
Mailed to Toronto using 1 cent King Edward VII stamp. Postmarked with railroad cancellation: 'N. BAY & ENGLEHART R.P.O. JAN 19 10'.
Vertical tear UL corner. Some toning on back.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
Situated at the eastern end of Porcupine Lake, just northeast of the community of South Porcupine. Porcupine represents the easternmost part of the city's urban core. It was originally known as "Golden City" in its early days. A fire devastated the area in 1911. The great fire engulfed communities from the Porcupine to Cochrane. People fled to the lake to survive. It was founded at the beginning of the Porcupine Gold Rush. Porcupine, Pottsville and South Porcupine were the three towns making up the 12 mile portion of gold-bearing land known as the Porcupine Camp.
The Porcupine Gold Rush was a gold rush that took place in Northern Ontario starting in 1909 and developing fully by 1911.
Alex MacLean is pioneer photographer whose work is an invaluable record of Haileybury’s early development from its beginning, through the devastation left by the Great Fire of 1922 and its rebirth. He also photographed extensively in the Temagami region, documenting the natural beauty and appeal of northern Ontario. MacLean’s photographs are important documents for historians and researchers.
In 1903 the Canadian Pacific Railway commissioned him to take photographs throughout the west. The 1922 Great Fire destroyed this collection of early photographs. MacLean came north to Haileybury in 1907. He was hired by mining companies in north-eastern Ontario to photograph underground and above-ground.