Early image of the Northeastern Ontario farming and railway town.
Written on top left corner “10th June 1907 New Liskeard Ontario Canada”.
Printed on negative at bottom ‘New Liskeard from the Windsor Hotel’.
Text on back from Fanny Vinot to her sister Helen in Paris.
Mailed to Paris France, with a NEW LISKEARD ONT JUN 12 07’ and ‘PARIS ETRANGER 23 JUN 07’ postmarks. Mailed using Canada #90 Edward VII 2 cent stamp.
Crease UL corner. Postmark smudge on front (lower center).
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale).
William Murray (1840–1906) and Irvin Heard (1871–1956) were the first European settlers in the New Liskeard area, arriving in 1891. Some years later Crown Lands Agent John Armstrong was dispatched to the area to oversee formal land settlement. The settlers founded a prosperous agricultural center, taking advantage of the rich soil in the Little Claybelt region. New Liskeard was founded soon after settlers began to arrive in Dymond, and the two towns were soon incorporated, in 1903 and 1901, respectively. New Liskeard was named after Liskeard in Cornwall, England. Its role as service centre to the surrounding farming community was assured by the arrival of the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (ONTARIO NORTHLAND) in 1905, and its growth was shaped by the varying fortunes of agriculture.
Postcard photo of early years of the Northern Ontario mining silver rush town of Cobalt....
Nice image of Northern Ontario town of Haileybury, around time of nearby Cobalt Silver Rush....