Postcard photo taken in winter of man with hammer in one hand, a metal bar in the other. In front of him, an anvil on which is written (reversed) “Cobalt 1906”.
Beside him, another man with a large sledgehammer. Both are standing in front of a log cabin
Man’s name written on white border ‘John Tamblyn Cobalt’.
Rare early photo!
Written message on back “Say if still alive write, no dead heads need apply. Snooks”
Sent to 'Thomas McGee Military Road & City --- Buffalo N.Y.' Stamp missing. Postmarked ‘ --- FEB 11 07 ONT’.
Card warped. Vertical crease left side, edge of picture and white border. Paper crease UR corner, cracks in photo. Paper chip LR corner. Back dirty: smudges and toning.
(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)
The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.
Postcard photo of early years of the Northern Ontario mining silver rush town of Cobalt....
Nice image of Northern Ontario town of Haileybury, around time of nearby Cobalt Silver Rush....