1906 photo postcard, temporary tents downtown Cobalt Ontario

Postcard photo of early years of the Northern Ontario mining silver rush town of Cobalt.

In background, scattered houses around the lake. In foreground newly cleared ground (tree stumps), several logs, and several tents. One tent has text written on it “Imperial Bank in Cobalt. First place”.

Rare early photo!

Publisher name printed LL ‘Lake & Lewis Cobalt Ont.’ and ‘COBALT 1905-06’. 

Sent to 'Miss Mary Grice Stoufville Ont'  Stamp missing. Postmarked ‘ --- FEB 11 07 ONT’.

Written message on back “New Liskeard April 18th...Have got quickly settled here & like it very well

Leftover glue on back where stamp was. Yellowing in three other corners on back.

 

(Red text is an electronic watermark that is not physically part of the photo for sale)

 

The Cobalt silver rush started in 1903 when huge veins of silver were discovered by workers on the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway (T&NO) near the Mile 103 post. By 1905 a full-scale silver rush was underway, and the town of Cobalt, Ontario sprang up to serve as its hub. By 1908 Cobalt produced 9% of the world's silver, and in 1911 produced 31,507,791 ounces of silver. However, the good ore ran out fairly rapidly, and most of the mines were closed by the 1930s. There were several small revivals over the years, notably in World War II and again in the 1950s, but both petered out and today there is no active mining in the area. In total, the Cobalt area mines produced 460 million ounces of silver.

WIKIPEDIA


Next

Related Items