Invitation to a member’s meeting at the prestigious Union Club in Victoria B.C. Pre-printed Victorian ‘Canada Post Card ‘ with 1 cent postage.
Dated 17th September 1902, for a meeting on the 18th at 5 PM, topic is "change in Constitution".
Appears to be sent to a 'C. Lowenberg'(?)/
Signed by the secretary.
Some light smudges on the back, small rust spots.
On an early spring day in April of 1879, a group of gentlemen met over Van Volkenburg's butcher shop on the southeast corner of Yates and Government Streets, and founded The Union Club of British Columbia. Two of the more prominent Members of the group, Sir Frank Barnard, K.C.M.G., and Mr. H.E. Croasdaille, were persuaded to canvas among friends considered congenial as Members. The result of the canvas proving satisfactory, the meeting was called to order and by unanimous vote, Sir Matthew Baillie-Begbie, C.J., was prevailed upon to become the Club's first President.
By 1884, the Membership of 149 had outgrown the Yates and Government location. A General Meeting was held and it was resolved that the Club should build its own Clubhouse which would be worthy of its name. On March 27th, 1884, City lots 230 and 231, at the corner of Douglas Street and Courtney Street, were purchased. On May 2nd, 1885 construction was completed and the Members moved into their sparkling new Clubhouse.