Advertising panels for one of the largest farming machinery companies of the late 1800s, William Deering of Chicago Illinois. Beautiful Victorian lithographic images of farmland and machinery.
These are two panels from a 4-panel fold-out advertising trade flyer.
On front, two horses pulling farmer sitting atop a binder along dirt road, in background great farm vista.
On back, two girls with flowers
On front, two horses pulling a farmer sitting atop a mower and a cutting crop, in background great farm vista of other farmers bailing hay.
On back girl carrying hay leaves(?). Behind her a cow is munching on her leaves, and at her feet two lambs tagging along.
At bottom, purple stamp of retailer.
4” x 7 ⅜”
William Deering (1826 –1913) was an American businessman and philanthropist. He inherited a woolen mill in Maine, but made his fortune in later life with the Deering Harvester Company.
Around 1870, Deering left that business and partnered with Elijah Gammon, providing $40,000 in funding for the production of a horse-drawn grain harvester developed by brothers William and Charles Marsh...By 1879 Deering was the sole owner and the company's name had been changed to Deering Manufacturing Company.
Along with the Marsh harvester, the company pioneered a harvesting reaper incorporating an automatic twine binder invented by John Appleby of Beloit, Wisconsin... Deering moved the company to Chicago and established the Deering Harvester Works.
In 1902 in a merger with 2 other companies, it became the International Harvester Company.